Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Diamonds and tomahawks..


A week has passed and so far the image of Americans remains. As one of my professors stated yesterday in class:"The rest of the world thinks we (americans) are pigs. And they're right, we are, but we are rich and powerful pigs!". I might not like it, but have to agree.

About the "student life":

There was a big party last Thursday organized to welcome NIU students back on campus. The party included R'n'B music, much like in Finland, but the similarities end there. As many of you might know it is illegal to consume alcohol and get intoxicated before the age of 21. This leads to many alterations to the "student life". Instead of running from one "rasti" to another (which we all, i believe, are familiar to some extent), or just chillin' down with friends over a glass of beer, the American students will jump in a various bounce-castles (?) a.k.a. pomppulinna, fight with huge boxing gloves and play other games that we grew too old to in the elementary school. I am serious. I witnessed a college student bouncing sober on a blow-up-castle - and he was having fun.. I am sure that if we would have stayed there for more than 15 minutes, we would have witnessed a bunch of twenty-year-old's in a fierce fingerpaint-drawing contest...

The international office here is full of incompetent idiots. They talk to us like we are 7-years-old and explain how they want us to know that Americans arent all rich people with diamonds and furs and that the american life is more than just bombing other nations.

About the expenses of going to exchange:

NIU is filthy expensive place to go for exchange. So far, in addition to our housing (it is mandatory for us to live in a dorm (in a small room that i share with American journalism student). With a meal plan of $55/week, it costs $2792.) and books ($300-400), we have to pay:

General Fees
$694.92
Technology Surcharge
$100.00
Telephone Charges
$57.00
Other Charges
$90.00

These fees are something that are mandatory for every student and what we get in return is vague. If anyone of you is experiencing similar surprice-fees (that you werent informed of beforehands), I would be glad to hear about that.


I dont know how this nation ever achieved the level of wealth and power it has, but I sure know that things are about to change. The Americans might still be rich and powerful, but they are also ignorant, obese and selfcentered pigs too.

More next Tuesday, Go Huskies!


***

Inspired by the american ignorance I want to start a new segment called:
"Stupid guestions we have heard this week"

Part I:


  1. In which state Finland is in?
  2. Do you speak English in Finland?
  3. Then what language do you speak in Finland?
  4. Do you have Internet in Finland?
  5. Is Europe in Finland?

1 Comments:

At 2:31 AM, Blogger Vilma said...

:D :D :D

Repesin. Tsemiä Kalle siellä Ameriikassa - ei taida olla ihan sitä helpointa? Joudun omia kokemuksiani vielä kans listaan (ja isosiskon kanssa...) - siis niitä täystyhmiä kyssäreitä, joita on uudella mantereella tullu vastaan:

- Asutaanko Suomessa taloissa? (eiku igluissa...)
- Käytetäänkö Suomessa kenkiä? (ei tietenkään, ku talvella on VAAN n. puolmetriä lunta... duh.)
- Mistä Suomalaiset hankkii ruokansa? (lähitiloilta oravannahoilla??)
- Missä Suomi on? (vastaus: Pohjois-Euroopassa) Missä on Eurooppa? (... tässä vaiheessa jätin keskustelun kyseisen tyypin kanssa sikseen...)

Näin. Teille on varmasti vielä lisääkin tulossa, TSEMIÄ!!! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home