Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Deep-fried? Yes please!

After receiving some critique about my "too cynical" way of writing, I decided to give a more positive twist to this weeks post.

In the following I'm trying to list good things about the US of A.

If I'm about to talk about the good stuff in US, I should definitely start with television. If I would be my desicion to make, I would stop producing everything else and concentrate solely on audiovisual entertainment. I know my suggestion would get sympathizers; after all it makes sense according to Adam Smiths theory of comparative advantage; no-one can possibly compete with Americans on this.

First of all Comedy Central, which beats the crap out of any other channel. Stand-up, series, movies and live performances that run 24/7. There is no way that any "Get-up, stand-up" will ever feed my demand after being exposed to Comedy Central..

Then ofcourse Conan without a second of delay. I remember those days when it took three weeks for Conan to get translated and aired in Finland. Nowadays it takes about three days. I cannot possibly imagine my life with such limitations anymore. Even the commercial brakes are where they should be..

Maybe I should talk more about the ad's. They are long and there are many. The quality is about the same as anywhere but here the advertisers are not even trying to hide their greed. Obviously there are both less limitations in marketing AND less intelligent audience. For example: "Accelerate your life, join the NAVY!" ad-campaign runs on TV. Join the NAVY you'll reach the end of your life faster.. (dont believe me, go visit: www.navy.com and while there please do the personality test, its hilarious!)

Food. Who would have thought about putting marsmallows into serials. Its pure genious. Breakfast contains of bacon, muffins and if you want to be healthy a bagel with creamy peanut butter. Absolutely nothing here is nutritious or healthy. In America the cows are fed such loads of hormones that milk is basically toxic and meat glows in the dark. My personal favourites include: caramel covered popcorn with jumbo peanuts, brownies of any size and shape, chocolate chip muffins, donuts (havent yet got the chance to try crispy-cremes, but I know they wont let me down), eggMcMuffins, chicken-fries, Jell-O, corndogs and anything deep-fried (that is kind of necessity as everything here goes trough boiling fat before it gets served). If it would be possible for me to collect fat, I would be in panic.

That's it for this week. Go Huskies!


***

"Stupid guestions we have heard this week"

Part II:

(In the cafeteria queue we're speaking only Finnish)
Dude: "What language are you guys speaking?"
We: "Finnish."
Dude: "Cool.."
(a moment of silence)
Dude: "How do you know Finnish?"

(In the classroom of 'multicultural management')
Lecturer: Did you know that Ukraine is a country? ____________________________________________________________________________________

Here in the end I also wanted to emphasize how Americans are keen on keeping the environment enjoyable. The first picture is of a pool next to my home here in Illinois and the second image is from a pool next to Aisté's home in Florida. Isn't it pretty!





1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, the things you write are just way out. Very good read, keep it up! and yea, were reading this dont worry

 

Post a Comment

<< Home