The Windy City
What did you do last Saturday?
I went to Chicago. It cost me $10 for a round trip (which, with the current exchange rate, is $1,53 more than a trip from Kauniainen to Helsinki and back).
Chicago has a population of 2,9 million (over 9 million in the whole metropolitan area), which makes it the tenth most populous in the Western hemisphere.
One cannot see chicago in one day. We merely saw one street and one festival, but everything I saw was absolytely great. During the day it was fantastic, skyscrapers, bridges, museums and yellow taxes; but when the sun goes down and the city lights turn on, I got speechless. During a conversation with Ari some time ago he quoted some wise man (I can't recall who it was) and said something like: "people are ment to live either in the country (close to the nature) or in a big city". I could not agree more.
Chicago has the highest murder rate out of any big cities in America.
The "south-side" of Chicago is a "no-no" place to go for a white guy, but in the areas that we went to my "spider sence" was not tingeling. We walked around and enjoyed the cuisine and athmosphere of a big city. I am definitely looking forward for the thanksgiving week that we are going to spend in Chicago with Aisté.
So, if you get a free Saturday, I highly recommend you to travel to a world-class metropolis to have a good lunch and do some shopping. It is really relaxing and rejuvenating.
-Alt-1

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home